May 28, 2013

Ouch: Hurting in Places You Didn't Know Exist

Cancer produces a unique type of pain. Candidly, I thought (as I'm sure so many others did) that I would be immune to cancer pain, and my general well-being after my first treatment gave me no reason to suspect otherwise. Then a few days before round two, chemo and I met in a dark alley somewhere, and chemo won. The most common type of cancer pain is called neuropathy, which involves any number of symptoms relating to sensation or control of the limbs and extremities. My legs hurt constantly, and what began as impaired control of my right arm has now progressed to the most annoying, dull-ache sensation I have ever felt. It's as if someone is constantly pulling my arm outward from the socket, and there is little to no reprieve from it. Neuropathy is a serious issue that should be addressed with your doctor. She or he is not likely to worry about it, as long it goes away, but if it becomes more persistent, then it must be treated. Moreover, the symptoms will likely continue months to even a year after your last treatment (oh yay me!). My experience with neuropathic pain has led me to the following habits or suggestions for anyone else who is just starting chemo or who is dealing with this fabulously annoying and often very disconcerting pathology:
  1. When possible, arrange to be driven to and from wherever you need to be. You just never know when neuropathic pain is going to change, and getting a sudden spasm or losing control of your arms or legs while driving could... well, let's just say you might not need chemo anymore.
  2. Always have pain medication handy, in the original bottle to avoid issues with law enforcement. ALWAYS!
  3. Consider alternative/holistic treatments (within reason and after consultation with your doctor). I, for one, am a big fan of Reiki massage, which involves only the lightest touch to help stimulate healing. It sounds a bit coo-coo, I know, but after one session, trust me I'm hooked. And I'm a man of science!
  4. When having a neuropathic episode, such as losing control of a limb, talk to it. (Yea I know, coo-coo.) Okay, don't do this in public. :) But seriously, talking to your limb, almost willing it to move, is actually neurologically sound, as it forces the brain to send impulses to the limb and may help stimulate recovery. Visualizing your limb moving while you're doing this can help too. For that matter, neuropsychologists and medical researchers have suggested lately that "seeing" yourself getting better during treatment seems to actually improve the efficacy of the treatment. (My we are complicated beings.)
  5. Finally, massage or lightly caress the affected limb while your having pain or loss of control. This helps stimulate bloodflow to the area and can improve mobility and ease the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment