June 1, 2013

Chemo 101: Just When You Think You Got It All Figured Out...

"It" changes altogether. My concerns about steroid dependency are somewhat addressed. My doctor agrees with me that the abnormally high dose I'm on has likely made me instantly dependent. Therefore, I'm going to stay on at least a low dose of prednisone for the foreseeable future. This doesn't really resolve the dependency, but it will put an end to the withdrawal symptoms, which for now are purely intolerable.
But more to the point here, I had assumed as before that the jump up to 240mg of prednisone during each of the days I'm in the hospital would hit me the way it did before, that is to say rendering me ultraproductive. In fact at this point, I'm now on day 3 of 4, it has done little more than hyperstimulate me to the point of catharsis and narcolepsy. That said, I apologize for the heretofore unpublished posts which are still forthcoming and will be up this week.
But I thought I'd take this short moment of reprieve to share this lesson that I'm coming to learn. That is that the way you respond to treatment while at home is likely to be far different from the way you respond while in the hospital. For me I tend to have a good bit of energy and creative urge while at home, though the hospital just makes me feel delirious. Frankly I can only take so much of being in the hospital before I feel that I can get no better until I leave. I'm thankful that my regimen is only 4 days, because much longer than that and I might become a basketcase. But That's another post altogether. Needless to say, to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment