June 11, 2013

Apologies for a Few Days of No Posts (or Energy)

I suppose that even if none of my readers mind that much, I do mind when I get behind on posts. It gives me a certain sense of structure and control to post regularly to this, my precious little project. And if you've followed any of my progress, you'd know that so far my treatments have panned out in a stellar fashion. This one felt different, however. We celebrated a family member's birthday over the weekend, and I felt pretty good preparing a nice meal of pan seared scallops and flounder, 4 cheese macaroni cheese, stewed tomatoes, and red velvet cake (stay tuned for an upcoming twist to that recipe here). But roundabout Sunday night, I just started to feel tired.

Certainly part of it was just the lack of sleep (thank you, prednisone) catching up to me. And sure as sugar, when I got home from the office on Monday I fell asleep on the couch and proceeded to sleep until about 6am Tuesday morning. That alone made me feel a LOT better. But my doctor also called this morning and told me I needed to get Neupogen because my white blood cell count had dipped very low. By the way, I found out that my insurance fully covers the ludicrously high $3000.00/shot cost of this medication, for which I am inexplicably relieved considering I need two more this week. But I'm not too bummed about this whole situation, because so far I've been very lucky. I expected that at some time things might not go exactly perfectly. There's also an encouraging possible explanation for the WBC dip in that there may just not be much cancer left, sending the chemo to take a relatively higher toll on my immune system than it has so far.

Anyway, I'm feeling better and should have many more posts added over the next day or two. I'm just keeping in mind--as anyone should really--that the downs in life only help me to appreciate the ups that much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment