July 13, 2013

I'm Down With P.E.T. (Yea You Know Me)

So the other big update is that the big update will come soon. (Cryptic, huh?) Basically we've decided that everything hinges upon my upcoming PET scan, with a couple of possibilities thereafter.

First is the potential for a clear result, meaning the cancer is gone or basically gone, in which case we will finish at 6 cycles and call it a day.

Second is the potential that there may be still, more cancer than my doctor is comfortable with, in which case he will run another two cycles of chemo. Additionally, he has indicated that he may, for prophylactic purposes, run a round of intrathecal chemo, which involves injecting chemo directly into the spinal cord to prevent the cancer from spreading into the nervous system, although this type of therapy is done completely outpatient.

I'm not going to lie... I'm not entirely thrilled about this, and when I first heard this news I had a rough several hours. But I tried to keep it in perspective that I'm so lucky to be alive and to be responding so well to treatment, and now I'm more or less at peace with these options. I definitely have a bit of scanxiety, though. :)

More to come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment